I start my daily trip to Cinque Terre in Genova.
Before anything, I want to buy something to spend the day, something to eat and have energy. That’s why I buy 4 pieces of Focaccia, which costs me 4€. They are big enough to spend the whole day. However, I buy some fruit. Having this, I also bring a bottle of water: 0.5€. And then, off I go to the train station.
- From Genova Brignole, I take a train straight to Monterosso al Mare: 9€
I arrive in Monterosso al Mare, which is the first from the 5 “Cinque Terre”. At first sight, it looks like a little village, but getting lost in the little streets, I see it’s bigger than I thought.
- In 5 Terre there are two ways to visit the cities:
- Taking the train to one city to another
- Daily ticket: 16€
- Single ticket: 4€
- Walking: 7.5€ (This is the way I took)
- Having your own car (Parking is quite expensive)
I should warn you that “Via del Amore” is closed until 2019. This means, you need to take a more “interior” path, which is quite tough. There are lots of ramps and stairs going up and down. You need to be a little bit trained.
From Monterroso al Mare to Vernazza will take you 2 hours more or less.
- Vernazza: it may be the most famous of the 5 Terre. There is a beautiful square right in the middle. However, it is the most touristic one.
From Vernazza to Corniglia will take you 1 hour and 20 minutes more or less
- Corniglia: In my opinion, the most beautiful and unique one. If you can, you should try a Gelato in one of the ice-cream shops next to the “Cinque Terre Info Point”. The gelato will cost you 2.5€
Right at that moment, I decided to come back, since I had my train to Genova Brignole at 18.55. For this reason, I walked all the way back to Monterosso al Mare. But you can always decide to walk further and also visit Manarola and Riomaggiore.
You have to visit all the 5 villages in one day. But think that will take you about 6 or 7 hours walking, which is quite a lot.
Anyway, with my train ticket back to Genova Brignole, I spend 8.5€.
To sum up:
- 4€ for the focaccia
- 0.5€ for the bottle of water + you can refill it in each village (the are fountains all over)
- 1€ for the fruit
- 9€ Genova – Monterosso al Mare
- 7.5€ Walking daily ticket
- 2.5€ Gelato
- 8.5€ Ticket from Monterosso al Mare to Genova Brignole
- 2€ To buy 2 postcards